Friday, August 11, 2006

It's already happening.

I had hoped against hope, but stuff's gettin' worse. Stuff's getting worse every day.

Luckily, unlike my co-worker who has chosen not to escape to freedom, his life will be that of the following image:

Mine will be that of freedom.

Apparently, a memo was distributed yesterday directing all Public Defenders to wear suits all day every day, so as to portray a "businessman-like image".

I was under the impression that Public Defenders were the low paid attorneys doing their jobs out of a feeling of duty and honor rather than seeking the high wages of the corporate world. I was under the impression that Public Defenders valued the same freedom and liberalism vigorously proclaimed at our client's trials and sentencing. I never realized that the image of the public defender would be reduced to conformity so that we can make our law firm's CEO feel like he's running a tax litigation firm (yes, we even have a CEO...and shareholders!) Our forebearers are turning in their graves.

Well, I have a couple of weeks before departure. I've had little progress on buying a truck. I want to ensure that I get the right one. Unfortunately, I know next to nothing about them. I've tried to get my buddy to help, but he doesn't seem to know much either. I guess the problem is that I need to know how much truck I'll need in Fairbanks. Furthermore, I need to know how old and beat up the truck can be but still make it up there. I need to do some more research.

You may have heard the recent news out of Alaska. A major source of oil will be shut down for a little while, inducing the governor to enact a hiring freeze on all new state employees. This was troubling news...troubling news indeed. However, after a few quick phone calls, it appears that I was hired just in the nick of time. So, everything is still working out.

The boss-man is making us come in on the Saturday. It's not a half day or anything like that. We need to play catch-up. Ugh.

4 Comments:

Blogger My home is Alaska said...

U are SUCH a ^%$$&*&(#$. First of all I do know something about trucks. Not everything but enough. YOU are the one that has to pick one and then lets figure out if it is a good one. Second, my young, young friend, I will escape to freedom like you. Let's not forget that, but for some unforeseen events like the housing market crapping out, I would be there already. And I will be there soon.

12:21 AM  
Blogger My home is Alaska said...

P.S. You are such a *&%^#$#$^&.

12:27 AM  
Blogger Adam said...

I recieved a DUI in San Diego a few weeks ago. I sought out a lawyer who was a complete asshole and demanded almost 4 thousand dollars to represent me. What a fucking vampire. I found representation elsewhere, even though I have a very bad taste in my mouth now for local authority and for lawyers. Reading your blog made me feel better about that, and it's good to know there are people out there who actually care. Thank you.

9:10 AM  
Blogger Northern Public Defender said...

I'm sorry to hear about your DUI issues. DUI defense can be extremely costly. Thanks to lobby groups like the California Highway Patrol and MADD, DUI's are now seen as one of our most serious crimes. It really is madness. Good luck to you.

12:39 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home